Easy Molten Lava Cake recipe – 70% Dark Chocolate
Its indulgent, its delicious and its easy to make! There is nothing better on a chilly winter night than snuggling up to a glass of red and this easy Molten Lava cake.
Cooking time: 10-12mins at 200C/180C fan
- 100g Butter – chopped (extra for greasing ramekins)
- 100g (at least) 70% Dark Chocolate – chopped
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 20g self-raising flour
- Optional garnish to serve -Single cream or ice cream, icing sugar and raspberries.
Pair with Langmeil Valley Floor Shiraz 2015 from the Barossa.
- Turn oven onto 200C/180C fan/gas
- Grease 6 ramekins/moulds with butter and place on a baking tray.
- Put the chopped butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second bursts on a low setting stirring through until completely melted. Alternatively set up a double boiler (heat proof bowl over boiling water) and stir until smooth, then set aside to cool slightly for about 10 mins.
- In a separate bowl using electric beaters, beat eggs and sugar until pale and frothy.
- Gradually add the melted butter and chocolate from Step 3, to the egg mixture from step 4 until combined.
- Stir through the flour.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins/moulds filling to ¾ full.
- If you are using these for a dessert later in the day, you can either put the prepared ramekins/moulds in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to bake them. If cooking from frozen they will need a cooking time of 14 mins.
- To bake straight away place in the oven for 10-12 mins until the tops are just firm. They are deliberately slightly under cooked so that you get that running center when cut into. (If they over bake they will still taste delicious, but you won’t have a runny center, so best to be under than over. It’s a fine balancing act.)
- Once satisfied with cooking, let sit for 1-2 minutes and then slowly run a knife around the edge of each cake and turn out onto individual plates. Serving with cream or ice cream. If you don’t want to run the risk of turning out the cakes they will still taste great straight from the ramekin and you will save on dishes!! Always a bonus!
I like to pair my Easy Molten Lava Cakes with a glass of Shiraz. My preference and a crowd favourite is the Langmeil Valley Floor Shiraz 2015, which comes in my monthly Wine Selectors subscription. (Great value!)
If you’re stuck for dinner idea’s check out my Best Lasagna Ever recipe here.
Looking to make some extra money from home, read my article here.