If you are asking how you can work from home and make money?! It’s a great question to be asking!!
With the current unpredictably of the economic climate, and increased competition due to population growth in the physical workforce, a lot of people are starting to ask the same question? So we are going to look at a couple of options out there that will help you earn a bit of extra income, and all you will need is your own laptop!
So whether you’re a stay at home mum, part time or work full time worker, the following provides you with a couple of strategies you can consider that may help ease the cash flow burden, allow you to take some control of your household earnings, or earn a little extra cash for the occasional self indulgent treat!
There are options out there, but know that they aren’t get-rich-quick schemes, they will require a level of input on your behalf.
Just how much input will depend on how much money you hope to make and how hard you are willing to hustle.
1. Content Farms
We may not have all heard of this term, but Content Farms are essentially a website that has very large quantities of content, of not necessarily high quality from other sites which are formulated to look that the source website generated it, so it appears higher up on the list of search results when typed into say Google or Bing.
If you want to look into this form of earning extra income, be aware that content farms don’t really have a very good reputation because the pay isn’t great, BUT, it is consistent (good for cash flow).
The following are links to a couple of content farms if you think this is something that might suit your lifestyle.
You would usually get paid per word, ranging from $0.01 to $0.05 USD, and sometimes this could be more based on the topic and length of the article. Payment is via PayPal, so nice an easy if you have an account set up, and the stream of work can be consistent if this is what you are after. The negative we touched on, the pay is low, and you may end up with topics that are really random which require research so you might need to become an instant expert. But if you like writing and you enjoy learning, a content farm might just be an option for you to earn some cash.
Fiverr is a marketplace for online freelance writers/creators who offer their services to get jobs done for people who don’t want to do it themselves. Along with customising websites or mixing and mastering audio, Fiverr allows you to unleash your hidden writer and gives you the exposure to become a freelance writer and get paid for your work!! As your experience in writing grows you set the price for the package you want to offer to someone who is looking to engage you to write for them. So think beauty blogger, travel writer, business analyst, general product reviewer or resume reviewer, the options are endless and well worth looking at.
The benefit of Fiverr is that you get to choose to take the work as it comes, and the people who are looking to engage your services to write for them don’t really have a high expectation in relation to the content they are looking for. So it’s a great learning ground for the novice writer in all of us.
Generally the people looking for writers are non English speakers who are hope to save some money or time by outsourcing the work to you, and you could then turn the writing back over to them pretty quickly earning some dollars, even without being the greatest wordsmith. Now what kind of money can you make? Say you write two 300 word pieces a day at $12, then by the end of the month that’s $360 in your pocket, if you tend to be online most of the time anyway, this is a good way to keep your mind engaged and earn some money at the same time.
On the flip side, the negative with the site is that its quite competitive. There are already a number of established writers with thousands of reviews completed from satisfied customers, some have special seller status which in turn gets them recommended first in searches by people looking to engage a writer. But there is a heap of work out there, so if you charge the right price (starting price is around $6.50 per 300 words) and you can turn the work over quickly, you might just be able to build your status up to earn the big bucks. So look at earning a quick Fiverr, it could be worth more than you think!
3. Start an Affiliate Blog
This one is for those willing to play the long game, so if you are after instant payment for your writing, then probably best to check out the recommendations above. But if you want to create an avenue for passive income, with a long term strategy for the big bucks, then starting an affiliate blog is definitely the best way to put those writing skills to good use.
- You own your own content!! Once published online, it will always be there with your name on it, taking full credit and you can choose what you want to do with it. Having your own blog, and website means you can earn money in a number of ways and the choice is yours.
- Financially, it’s relatively cheap to start up.
- You can directly promote products you are passionate about through links, or indirectly through advertising banners on your pages. You can get the message you want to get across, and genuinely help people who might see your blog as a turn to point for guidance.
- You get to decide what you write about! You can help others through your experiences or expertise. And so if you think controlled crying is the way babies need to learn how to sleep, go for it, get your opinion out there, but if you think co-sleeping is the way to go, you blog awaits you, get your opinion out there!
- Now this is where patience pays off! If you build up enough content, bringing in vast amounts of traffic (views & clicks) and become influential on the topic you blog about, think Constance Hall, the Organised Housewife, you may just be able to sell your website in a few years which may be very profitable indeed. So that means you could potentially earn regular income (through product promotion and advertising) up to and more than $1,000 a month, and then after a number of years sell the website for $200,000. An asset you created! The only thing stopping you, is you!
- After the high’s of the pro’s here comes the downer! You won’t be making money right away! It could take a number of months or even years for you to reach that point, it depends on how hard you push and how willing you are to drive the website to succeed.
- You will need creating consistently high quality content along the way. This means writing 3000+ words a week with possibly little pay off. It’s unlikely you won’t see zero profit during this time, since you have the potential to earn commissions through products promoted and recommended and as your content and traffic increases you will potentially earn through these clicks. But this is what you need to be realistic about if you are considering this option, the money won’t come quickly.
If you are thinking the long game is an option for you, and you are driven to make it succeed then learn how to become an affiliate marketer and blogger through a training site called Wealthy Affiliate.
It’s free to sign up and have a look, and do the first few foundation courses with no risks attached. A premium membership is $49 USD per month and provides you with a full course specialised in teaching people how to start affiliate websites on a topic of their choice. The easy to follow training includes step throughs on how to build the site, how to write articles that people will be able to search in Google etc, how to find and sign up to affiliate programs and most importantly make money from links, not to mention the community of support is genuine and plenty of people are willing to help, including me.
So computers poised!
These options all have a lot to do with writing/ typing which works perfectly with working from home. All you need to do is hone those skills your high school English teacher was trying to drum into you and with a little of lateral thinking you might just be able to work from home and get paid for it too.
So computer poised and go, lets start churning out that word per minute count and make some money off of it, because you, earning your own income, is one of the most rewarding and empowering feelings out there!
If you have any other ideas on how to earn money from home, please feel free to share in the comments below!